iMovie is a video editing app for mobile devices. It can be used to create and edit videos on iOS devices, such as Apple iPhone and iPad. The app allows users to capture video clips using the iSight camera of these devices, add additional clips from their photo library, use special effects including stop motion animation, and share these videos on social networking and video sharing sites such as YouTube and Vimeo.
Additional features include:
- The ability to capture HD quality video clips using an Apple device’s camera.
- Video editing tools, including filters, transitions and titles.
- The ability to incorporate photos from the user’s photo library into videos.
- Support for up to 99 video tracks.
- Audio editing tools that can be used with videos, including the ability to record usage of the device’s microphone.
- Creation of stop motion animation effects through frame by frame video recording.
- Ability to export directly to sites supporting the sharing of videos (YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook, for example.)
- Sharing of videos worldwide.
- Ability to import video clips from a computer’s iTunes library if the phone is connected with a USB cable or through Wi-Fi sync software.
iMovie was first released as iMovie HD by Apple Inc. on January 9, 2005, as part of the iLife software package. It was initially designed to edit videos on Apple’s Macintosh computers, and later available for the iPhone and iPad line of devices.
The app underwent a major overhaul with version 2.0, released in September of 2010, adding new editing tools and social media sharing capabilities to the application. Subsequent updates have added support for higher resolution video capture and sharing, as well as alternative output formats.
The first version of iMovie to be released for the iOS was version 3.1, which came pre-installed on iPhone 5s models sold through Apple Inc.’s online store in September 2013.
Version 3.2 was released on October 23 2014 containing bug fixes and support for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. The latest version of iMovie, 4.2, was released on January 29 2016. Its major feature is support for the Apple iPad Pro tablet computer, which became available through pre-orders that day.
How to download iMovie on Mac?
iMovie is not available on Apple App Store, but don’t worry; you can download its latest version from Apple’s website by following simple steps below.
Step 1: Go to Apple’s website and click on any of your favorite product category (I chose computers), then select iMovie from the drop-down list as shown in the image below; it will take you to a new page like this:
Step 2: Select iMovie and download its latest version by clicking on any one of the links next to it. For me, I get iMovie ’14 (as shown in the image below) since I’ve used Mac before Yosemite and Mavericks version was available back then.
Step 3: Downloading usually takes a while, depending on your internet speed; don’t leave the process unmonitored otherwise you’ll get an error message like this one; “Error connecting to the App Store. Try again later.”
Step 4: Once successful, you’ll be able to see iMovie icon on your desktop (as shown in the image below).
iMovie for mac Summary:
- iMovie for Mac lets you create movies with own music and effects (including watching them in 3D).
- It uses Multi-Touch features like Final Cut Pro X for editing videos.
- iMovie is a great tool for animating 3D objects in just a few clicks.
- You can add many objects and change their position and timing to achieve the animated look.
If you face any difficulties downloading iMovie program contact us through our comment box or via e-mail. Also, feel free to make any suggestions or provide us with your reviews. Thanks for reading!
Don’t forget to share this among your friends on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Tumblr and Pinterest if you found it useful. Also, check out our other articles for more helpful tips and tricks that’ll surely blow your mind away.